Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Internship Nightmare with a Happily Ever After

 by Sydney Tenyak, Career Assistant

Internship Nightmare with a Happily Ever After

During my second year of college, I got some of the best news of my life.  As much as I love Ashland University and all of my friends and experiences here, I found out that I would be graduating a year early.  During high school, I participated in the post secondary program, in which I took college classes through The University of Akron.  I came into college with 28 credit hours completed.  Hearing that this extra hard work in high school paid off was extremely exciting, but in order to graduate this way, I had to complete an internship this past summer.  And so the search began.

I spoke with everything I could about finding an internship from Career Services to friends to my academic advisor.  I applied at a lot of companies, but none of them seemed to work out the way I had hoped.  Either I couldn’t see myself working at a company, or I did not get an offer to one that I did like. 

After about a month or so of interviewing with what seemed like no hope left, things started looking up.  I was going through the interview process with two companies and had gotten to the final interview with them both.  The first company offered me a position, but I was waiting to hear back from the other company still.  For this reason, I asked the first company for a week to give them an answer.  I completed my final interview with the second company during that week extension, and they said I would know whether or not I got the position on the same day that I had to give the first company an answer about their offer.

After speaking with a lot of people and really thinking about what I wanted, I realized that the second company was the internship that I really wanted.  For this reason, I turned down the first company, because I knew it wasn’t right for me.  An hour later I got a call from the second company telling me that the candidate pool was strong, and I did not get the position.  It felt like everything came crashing down at once.  I did not have any other leads to internships and the semester was almost over.  I was back at square one.

Karen Hagans from Career Services knew all about my internship search and had found a position that seemed to fit me well.  The Orrville Area Chamber of Commerce was developing its first ever internship program, and had asked Karen for some potential candidates.  I sent in my resume and a cover letter, and after that, everything fell into place.  I was the Business Management/Accounting Intern for the summer of 2014, and it was truly a great experience.  I learned a lot about what I want to do in the future and made a lot of connections that I plan to use in the future.

The biggest thing I learned throughout this experience is that everything will fall into place eventually, and you have to work for what you really want.  I am thankful for Career Services and everyone else that helped in my internship search.

No comments:

Post a Comment